This digital activity introduces the Commutative Property of Addition using 2 and 3-digit addends. In the interactive Google Slides, students use movable pieces to rearrange the addends to create a new problem and discover the sums are the same! Video instructions for students are included. While completing this activity students will discover this property of addition themselves!
This resource can be used to direct your whole class lesson, or easily assigned in Google Classroom or any platform that is compatible with Google Slides.
You do not need Google Classroom to use this resource, but you do need a Google e-mail to use Google Slides. Homeschool parents can easily use this resource with their children by opening the Google Slides document.
- PDF with a Link to make a copy of the Google Slides in your Google Drive
- Video Instructions (Student devices must be able to access You-Tube)
- 12 student slides
- Adding three 2-digit numbers (43 + 51 + 66)
- Adding three 3-digit numbers (248 + 360 + 144)
- Analyzing patterns though a guided discovery activity
- Comparing sums using <, >, or = symbols
- Commutative Property of Addition, also called the Order Property of Addition
- Labeling parts of each problem with the vocabulary terms “addends” and “sum”.
Ideas on how to use this resource:
- Use it as a whole class teaching tool by projecting the slides and using the movable, interactive pieces to teach your lesson
- Use it as a No Prep Math Station
- Use as an Early Finisher Activity
- Assign this resource as a lesson for student practice in Google Classroom
- Share the digital key with students in Google Classroom for parents and students to check work at home.