Cute and colorful Google Slides will make this concept easy to understand for your 3rd grade students! These fun & engaging slides give your students practice comparing fractions with common denominators, emphasizing that they have the same size pieces of one whole. This activity is aligned to TEKS 3.3H and CCSS 3.NF.3d .
- Every slide is to capture your students’ attention.
- Interactive keep your students engaged.
- embedded into the Google Slides make your job easier.
- Have students who forget instructions as soon as it is time for them to begin working? Students can watch the video instructions on comparing fractions with the same denominator before completing the activity at a math station, for seatwork or homework.
- Have students who are absent? The video instructions save you time so that you don’t have to explain how to complete the activity to students.
- Have a sub? They can watch the video instructions so that they can offer support while students complete the digital activity.
- Digitally shading fraction models to compare fractions with common denominators
- Using the >, < and = symbols to compare fractions
- Looking at the numerator to compare the fractions, since they are comparing fractions with the same denominator
- Explaining their thinking with easy-to-use drag and drop words and phrases
- PDF with a Link to make a copy of the Google Slides in your Google Drive
- Video Instructions (Student devices must be able to access You-Tube)
- 15 student practice slides
- Use it as a whole class teaching tool by projecting the slides and using the movable, interactive pieces to teach your lesson
- Use this resource as a no prep math station
- Use it as an early finisher activity
- Use this resource for small group reteach or tutoring
- Assign this resource as a lesson for student practice as independent work. the embedded video instructions keep students from interrupting you.
- Share the digital key for parents and students to check work at home
This resource can be easily assigned in Google Classroom or any other platform compatible with Google Slides. Homeschool parents can use this resource by simply opening it in Google Slides. All you need to access Google Slides is a free Gmail account.
TEKS 3.3H Compare two fractions having the same numerator or denominator in problems by reasoning about their sizes and justifying the conclusion using symbols, words, objects, and pictorial models.
Common Core 3.NF.3d Compare two fractions with the same numerator or the same denominator by reasoning about their size. Recognize that comparisons are valid only when the two fractions refer to the same whole. Record the results of comparisons with the symbols >, =, or <, and justify the conclusions, e.g., by using a visual fraction model.