Help your students with by with these interactive Google Slides. These fun & engaging slides use a variety of tools, such as movable fraction bars, to help your students write the value of a fraction as the sum of unit fractions. This activity is aligned to TEKS 3.3D and CCSS 3.NF.1 .
- Every slide is to capture your students’ attention.
- Interactive keep your students engaged.
- embedded into the Google Slides make your job easier.
- Have students who forget instructions as soon as it is time for them to begin working? Students can watch the video instructions before completing the activity at a math station, for seatwork or homework.
- Have students who are absent? The video instructions save you time so that you don’t have to explain how to complete the activity to students.
- Have a sub? They can watch the video instructions so that they can offer support while students complete the digital activity.
- Using digital fraction bars to represent fractions and draw connections to writing fractions as the sum of unit fractions
- Writing a fraction as the sum of unit fractions (2/6 = ? + ?), also called decomposing fractions
- Naming the fraction represented by a string of unit fractions (1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 = ?), also called composing fractions
- Denominators are limited to 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8 to align with the 3rd grade fraction TEKS and Common Core standards
- PDF with a Link to make a copy of the Google Slides in your Google Drive
- Video Instructions (Student devices must be able to access You-Tube)
- 15 student practice slides
- Use it as a whole class teaching tool by projecting the slides and using the movable, interactive pieces to teach your lesson
- Use this resource as a no prep math station
- Use it as an early finisher activity
- Use this resource for small group reteach or tutoring
- Assign this resource as a lesson for student practice as independent work. the embedded video instructions keep students from interrupting you.
- Share the digital key for parents and students to check work at home
This resource can be easily assigned in Google Classroom or any other platform compatible with Google Slides. Homeschool parents can use this resource by simply opening it in Google Slides. All you need to access Google Slides is a free Gmail account.
TEKS 3.3D Compose and decompose a fraction a/b with a numerator greater than zero and less than or equal to b as a sum of parts 1/b.
Common Core 3.NF.1 Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts; understand a fraction a/b as the quantity formed by parts of size 1/b.