This resource includes 7 interactive Google Slides and video instructions for students. In this activity, students will practice finding the closest estimate for addition and subtraction problems that include up to 5-digit numbers.
This resource can be easily assigned in Google Classroom for math stations, independent practice or distance learning. You do not need Google Classroom to use this resource, but you do need a Google e-mail to use Google Slides.
- PDF with a Link to make a copy of the Google Slides in your Google Drive
- Video Instructions (Student devices must be able to access You-Tube)
- 1 vocabulary slide for students to review the terms deposit, withdraw and balance, which are used in the word problems
- 6 word problems where students estimate to find sums and differences of 3 to 5-digit numbers
- Finding the Closest Estimate
- Adding and subtracting two numbers (up to 6-digit numbers)
- Financial Literacy topics including depositing and withdrawing money, and account balance
*Please note that all of the problems use dollars, and this may not be the right resource for students who use a different type of currency.
Ideas on how to use this resource:
- Use it as a whole class (in person) teaching tool by projecting the slides and using the movable, interactive pieces for a fun whole-class lesson.
- Use it for whole class Zoom meetings to lead a meaningful lesson.
- Assign this resource as an activity for student practice in Google Classroom or another platform that is compatible with Google Slides