Your students will love learning to find the using the hands-on activities in these . You will love the ready-made ! Students will learn how to calculate the area of combined rectangles using their side lengths. This Simple and Easy-to-Use lesson is designed for 3rd grade students and aligns to CCSS 3.MD.C.7d.
This resource is excellent to use to guide whole class lessons or to use for math stations, review or tutoring.
What Teachers are saying:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐This is an OUTSTANDING resource! I was having a hard time getting students the extra practice online with such a hard concept and this truly delivered! The instructional video is an added bonus, and the students had as much of a hands-on experience that they could get. I highly recommend this resource for additional practice and engagement on finding the area of irregular shapes! -Graphic Tee Teacher
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐My students loved using this resource during our area unit. They also loved the video. Great Resource!!! -Araceli V.
- Teaches students how to decompose irregular (rectilinear) figures into rectangles
- Shows students how to find the area of each rectangle and add them together to find the area of the larger figure
- Walks students through the Google Slides activities they will complete
- Is approximately 6 minutes
- Student Devices must have access to You-Tube to view the Video Lesson
⭐Many of the , so through the activity .
- Engaging practice with Movable Pieces
- Matching Activities
- Application of Learning in Real-World Word Problems
- Word Problems have optional Step-by-Step support
- Video Lesson with Activity Instructions
- 12 Interactive Activities
- Teacher Key in separate Google Slides™ doc that can be assigned to students to check their work at home with their parents
- PDF with a link to make a copy of the Google Slides™ in your Google Drive
- Directions on how to assign the Google Slides™ activity to students in Google Classroom™
CCSS.3.MD.C.7d Recognize area as additive. Find areas of rectilinear figures by decomposing them into non-overlapping rectangles and adding the areas of the non-overlapping parts, applying this technique to solve real world problems.
in a comprehensive bundle that covers all the area topics your students need to learn!
Save 30% on this resource by purchasing the Digital Area Bundle!
Lessons in the Digital Area Bundle Include:
Area Lesson 1: Understand the Concept of Area by filling Rectangles with Square Units
Area Lesson 2: Find Area by Multiplying the Number of Rows by the number of Unit Squares in Each Row
Area Lesson 3: Multiplying Whole Number Side Lengths to find Area
Area Lesson 4: Area of Irregular Shapes using Unit Squares
Area Lesson 5 *This Resource*: Area of Irregular Shapes using Side Lengths
Area Lesson 6: Use Area Models to Prove the Distributive Property
You may also be interested in this coordinating Perimeter Bundle.