This resource includes 10 interactive Google Slides with movable pieces and video instructions for students to practice rounding to the nearest thousand. Students will understand the meaning of rounding numbers by finding the thousands a number is between and representing the number on a number line. This resource can be easily assigned in Google Classroom for math stations, independent practice or distance learning.
Watch the video instructions HERE.
You do not need Google Classroom to use this resource, but you do need a Google e-mail to use Google Slides.
- PDF with a Link to make a copy of the Google Slides in your Google Drive
- Video Instructions (Student devices must be able to access You-Tube)
- Example Slide to further clarify instructions for students
- 10 interactive slides with movable pieces
- Key that is created in Google Slides so that it can be shared with all or select students via Google Classroom to make this a self-checking activity
- Determining the thousands a number is between
- Determining the “halfway point” between those thousands
- Representing the number on a number line to help make rounding decisions
- Rounding the number to the nearest thousand
- Students will round 4-digit and 5-digit numbers to the nearest thousand
Ideas on how to use this resource:
- Use it as a whole class (in person) teaching tool by projecting the slides and using the movable, interactive pieces to teach your lesson.
- Use it for whole class Zoom meetings as a teaching tool.
- Assign this resource as a lesson for student practice in Google Classroom.
- Have students create a video (using software such as Screencastify) explaining how they solved one problem.
- Share the digital key with students in Google Classroom for parents and students to check work at home.
3.2C: Represent a number on a number line as being between two consecutive multiples of 10; 100; 1,000; or 10,000 and use words to describe relative size of numbers in order to round whole numbers.
4.2D: Round whole numbers to a given place value through the hundred thousand place.
4.NBT.A.3: Use place value understanding to round multi-digit whole numbers to any place.