This resource includes 13 interactive Google Slides with movable pieces and video instructions for students. In this digital hands-on Place Value activity students will represent numbers with Base-10 Blocks in more than one way. This resource can be easily assigned in Google Classroom for math stations, independent practice or distance learning.
Watch the video instructions HERE.
You do not need Google Classroom to use this resource, but you must have a Google e-mail to use Google Slides.
- PDF with a Link to make a copy of the Google Slides in your Google Drive
- Video Instructions (Student devices must be able to access You-Tube)
- Example Slide to further clarify instructions for students
- 13 interactive slides with movable Base-10 Blocks to build numbers
- Key that is created in Google Slides so that it can be shared with all or select students via Google Classroom to make this a self-checking activity.
- Represent and compose numbers with Base-10 Blocks on more than one way
- Describing the number of ones, tens, hundreds, and thousands used to represent the number, building understanding of place value relationships
- Building Place Value understanding as a foundation for Addition and Subtraction with Regrouping. (i.e. 1,000 can be represented as 1 thousand, or as 9 hundreds, 9 tens and 10 ones.)
Ideas on how to use this resource:
- Use it as a whole class (in person) teaching tool by projecting the slides and using the movable, interactive pieces to teach your lesson.
- Use it for whole class Zoom meetings as a teaching tool.
- Assign this resource as a lesson for student practice in Google Classroom.
- Have students create a video (using software such as screencastify) explaining how they solved one problem.
- Share the digital key with students in Google Classroom for parents and students to check work at home.
3.2A: Compose and decompose numbers up to 100,000 as a sum of so many ten thousands, so many thousands, so many hundreds, so many tens, and so many ones using objects, pictorial models, and numbers, including expanded notation as appropriate.
Common Core Alignment:
Foundation for 3.NBT.A.2: Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.